You know, these pictures are really not even that bad. Most of the time ALL the bins are empty and scattered and mixed up.
The problem is that I fight and struggle and yell about getting help with cleaning it up. The boys are always blaming each other for the mess. It is becoming a daily battle. No matter what method I use to get help (and I've used most of them), it is always a fight.
What am I doing wrong???? The first thought... they have too many toys. But it really isn't that many. I've seen families with MUCH more. Next thought...am I too organized? I get a little anal about how the kids pick the toys up. Maybe I am expecting too much for them to put the cars with the cars and the hero toys with the hero toys. I've tried enforcing the one bin at a time rule, but the kids like to mix the toys. They have great imaginations.
Ugh, I really am frustrated with the battle. I guess this would fall into the 'part of being a mom' category, but there has to be a better way. When do I just give it all to DI?

4 comments:
That's why they invented doors - you just close it and then its out of sight out of mind. Kathy always made a game of picking up 25 things or 50 things and that seems to help a little...my boys rooms still look like that and I just gave up and don't look!
Yours really doesn't look bad. Ours looks just as bad. I get so fed up with it that I give them a set ammount of time (30 minutes or so - plenty of time to clean it up) then I grab a garbage bag and start filling it up for the DI. When we were down to a few shoe boxes full of toys they did fine cleaning up. We've somehow built up another stockpile and it's a battle again! UGH! I feel like I've tried everything - rotating toys every few months so they only have 1/3 of them out (but then they find them and pull them all out like it's Christmas). I take them all away and they have to earn them back (but they find them and pull them all out like it's Christmas). Let me know if you find something that works!
I'm with K2cole, close the door. Clean up maybe once a week. Boys grow up and decide on their own if they like their space clean or messy, and what they can live with. I say just keep it in the toy room and close the door.
Well when you figure it out let me know, I have the same "conversation" EVERY day! Good luck with the search for a solution!!
Post a Comment